Sunday, December 9, 2007

Some Background...

I've been playing Texas Hold 'Em since the early 90's. I quit about 3-4 years ago because I got tired of the madness of low limit games, and kept reading the advice of poker authors saying that it was unwise to move up to higher limits without first mastering lower limit games. A few months back, after years of not playing, I happened into the Horseshoe in Shreveport and just ran over a white chip game, left with $400. A few weeks later, me and my wife went to Biloxi for a weekend with some friends, and she suggested I play in the tournament at the IP. It was the first serious tournament I'd ever entered, and I made it to the final table, and won $440 when the players all agreed to chop. It lasted like 5 hours, no buybacks, there were antes, I don't really remember being too nervous or even caring about how it turned out. Then a couple of weeks later, a neighbor told me about the Acadiana Series of Poker being played in Lafayette. I figured it was worth a shot, I'd done well in Biloxi, maybe I was better at this than I realized. I played, as well as I could, and made it to 29, just 9 seats out of the money. That's when I realized that I could consistently get deep in these tournaments, and if I could get deep, maybe with a little fine tuning I could get the money. That's what this blog is all about--all the ups and downs that go along with getting deep in poker tournaments...and getting deep into tournament poker.

No comments: